Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sun's Out, Run's Out.

So, I've been getting more used to Oklahoma. And I learned a little local secret about running - go in the morning! I have to send out some reports for work everyday at around 5 am and the sun comes up around 6 so I've been heading out for some really beautiful sunrise runs and have been able to beat the heat (thankfully!). And even though I'm not too much of a morning person, I'm kind of loving this new routine. 

For starters, over the past year with all of my traveling I've learned an important lesson: there's no better way to discover a new place than to run around it. And in the early morning at dawn, I feel like I have the whole place to myself. It's just me and the pavement and the adorable little town of Alva. 

I guess there are a lot of country roads out here and a lot of the people I work with like to run on them. But ya'll - there are TARANTULAS and SCORPIONS and RATTLESNAKES and God knows what else out here in this area and so I've decided to keep to the pavement and have stuck around the town square instead. 

You should be jealous of this sunrise!
Adorable little boutiques around downtown Alva.
77 degree weather? Yes, please and thank you!
Running in the morning is such a different energy and atmosphere than any other time of day. And I've found myself craving a different type of music on these runs. Instead of my usual mix of bumping club music (Flo Rida, Pitbull, Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifa, etc.), I want to listen to something a little more chill (enter: Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Minus the Bear, John Mayer, Band of Horses, T Swift). 

So far, half marathon training is going well - but I'm still nervous and scared just thinking about the daunting task of trotting 13.1 motherfreaking miles. Whatevs, I'll do it.

But today I'm heading back to good ol' North Carolina for a week. I'm ready for some sea-level runs, toes in the sand, and maybe a few fireworks to celebrate good old 'Merica. see Sam run is moving in (temporarily) this month so I need to do some house cleaning and make way for her, as well!

Happy Tuesday, everybody! What's your favorite thing about morning runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment