Friday, December 28, 2012

25 Miles of Running - December's Goal

I like to run. I don't love it. I'm not great at it. But I like doing it enough that I enjoy 5k's and sometimes think about running 10k's. At the beginning of the year, before I left for this job, I crammed in about four different 5k's in a span of three months. It was really fun. I even conned one of my non-runner friends to do a few with me. And hey! She liked it, too.

Once I got out to Wyoming, I kind of forgot about running. I was going to the gym regularly and doing the elliptical or exercise bike, but due to my hatred of treadmills (it just doesn't feel natural!), I wasn't really doing the whole running thing any more. That is, until I saw that my gym was hosting an annual Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving Day. I thought about it for a few days... kind of went back and forth about whether or not I should do it... I mean, I hadn't run in MONTHS! And this race was in two weeks. But then I saw the t-shirt you get for doing it. And it was super cute. And I'm a sucker for race t-shirts. "What the hell?" I thought. It's not like I really know anyone in this town. If I totally gave up after the first half mile and walked the other 2.6, who was going to judge me? So I signed up. And I'm glad I did.



Wouldn't you run a 5k if this cute shirt was involved?

The Turkey Trot was the hilly-est (?) run I've ever completed. It was cold (around 30 F) and my legs were kind of mad at me at first. But once I got almost to the 1 mile mark, my body kicked it into gear and I enjoyed the rest of the race as much as I had the 5k's before it. I had a friend who ran with me, err, he ran the same race I did. But he dusted me by like 10 minutes. Oh well, that's what happens when you're a runner with little legs. Regardless, it was a fun experience and it really turned my running switch back on.

After this Turkey Trot, my running legs were back! I wanted to do more of it. So I set a goal for myself. I wanted to run 25 miles in the month of December. And I did it. And I kept a log of it. 

1.20 miles - December 5th
2.26 miles - December 6th
0.77 miles - December 7th
2.08 miles - December 11th
2.38 miles - December 12th
2.70 miles - December 13th
1.00 miles - December 15th
1.36 miles - December 17th
2.67 miles - December 18th
3.07 miles - December 19th
1.25 miles - December 23rd
1.76 miles - December 24th
1.80 miles - December 27th
2.62 miles - December 28th

Total so far (and December's not over, yet!) = 26.92 miles

2.25 miles - December 30th
2.17 miles - December 31st

***UPDATE: Final mileage count - 31.34 miles. Hell yes.

The green runs happened when I was home in North Carolina. Obviously, I like running at home a whole lot more than I do in Wyoming, especially this time of year. At home, I get to run outside in 50-60 degree (mostly) weather while enjoying a beautiful riverside scenery at SEA LEVEL! In Wyoming, I get to stare at a treadmill screen until I'm so cramped up that I can't take it any more. I blame this on the single digit temperatures and everlasting presence of white stuff the locals call snow. I'm sure I'll love running in Wyoming once the winter is over and I can run outside. But whether home or in Wyoming, I had a goal to reach! So I sucked up the treadmill thing and got it done, anyway.

I'm so excited that I accomplished this goal. It seemed so crazy and unreachable when I thought of it at the beginning of the month. And now that it's done, I just sit back - look at my log - and think about how awesome I am.

And now I'm ready to think about a January goal. I think in the month of January, I'm going to try to bike 100 miles and run 25 again. What do you think? Is this possible? What's your goal for January?

No comments:

Post a Comment