Friday, January 25, 2013

Hit Me Baby, One More Time..

I successfully kicked my biking goal's ass. 100+ miles, done.

Yesterday I completed the longest bike ride I've done all month. 15.76 miles. It was long. It took me over an hour (with a bathroom break right in the middle). But it was wonderful. And I have Pandora radio to thank.

I have some different iTunes playlists that I rock during specific cardio routines. I have a "Run!" playlist, a "Work it out" playlist, and a "Pedal!" playlist. But to be honest, they've been getting quite old to me this month. So yesterday I turned on Pandora and switched things up.

My radio station: Spice Girls.

Oh yeah, that's right. I had a blast from the past throughout my entire hour. The people on the bikes and elliptical's nearby must have thought I was on drugs. Every time a new song would come on, I'd break out a huge smile. I was silently singing along, giving myself a mental high five at every new mile. The Spice Girls/Backstreet Boys/Britney Spears collection probably seems cheesy to a lot of people. But to me, it reminds me of being a little girl.

Insert random anecdote:

In the 4th grade, four of my friends and I decided to dress up as Spice Girls for Halloween. It actually ended up being four of us, Gerry quit at the last minute (was that foreshadowing?). I, being the smallest and blondest in the group, took on the role of Baby Spice. My mom let me use colored hair spray to put blue streaks in my bangs and I wore sneaker high heels. I thought I was hot shit. We walked through our small neighborhood, crossing the street by holding out peace signs and yelling "Spice Crossing!" in the most British-like accent we could muster. One of the girls didn't really get the message across when she was crossing the street and got bumped by a car who didn't see her. It was over-dramatic and wonderful.
My playlist yesterday included the following: (Sing along if you know the words!)

  • Who do you think you are - Spice Girls
  • Lucky - Britney Spears
  • Lady Marmalade - Moulin Rouge soundtrack
  • I want you back - N'Sync
  • Spice up your life - Spice Girls (I think I'm going to bring this back to my cardio list)
  • Come on over - Christina Aguilera (This one was a BLAST)
  • Quit playing games with my heart - Backstreet Boys
  • I want it that way - Backstreet Boys
  • Baby one more time - Britney Spears
  • Kiss me - Sixpence None The Richer
  • Bye bye bye - NSync
  • Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Backstreet Boys
  • No scrubs - TLC (Has anyone seen the new T Boz show by the way?...)
  • Say you'll be there - Spice Girls
  • Tearin' up my heart - N'Sync
  • Barbie girl - Aqua
And, in order to finish up one of the most random posts of Healthy Little Me, another random anecdote (this time about Britney Spears).

One day in the 5th grade, we were all lined up in the hallway doing a class change between periods. There was this kid named Ryan Smith* who was, by the way, the hottest guy I (or any other girl at John Dover* Elementary School) had ever laid eyes on. Every girl wanted him. And secretly, some of the guys probably did too. I remember passing him in the hallway when one of his guy friends shouted out "Ryan! Who's your new girlfriend?" He responded, "Britney Spears." Now, I had not heard of B Spears by then and thought she was a new girl at school I didn't know about. That bitch, I thought. Annnd then six months later I joined the rest of society when I saw her music video for Baby One More Time on Carson Daly. 

*Names changed.

What playlists get you going? Happy Friday, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment