Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tuesday's Rambling: The hand-weight dilemma, my awesome 5K, and back porch boot camp.

Well hello!

The last few days have been crazy and wonderful since I got back to NC. I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll start with an important lesson that I learned this week - when traveling on an airplane, don't put hand weights in your carry-on bag; it makes for quite a big deal in security.

I brought the Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD home with me in case it was too cold to run outside (which it isn't but I've been doing it, anyway). But it's not the same workout without my trusty 3 lb (don't laugh at me!) hand weights. I couldn't bring the DVD and not the weights; that would be like bringing toothpaste but no toothbrush, they only work together. Put them in my checked bag? No way, Jose. The weight actually counts for that one.


Instead, I resolved to throw those bad boys in my little carry-on bag.

The problem with metal hand weights is this: the screener cannot see them when they go under the scanner. It's just a giant black object. So I immediately got flagged for a bag inspection, which I politely accepted (Happiness Commandment #4: Chill out). The guy grabbed my bag and told me to meet him over at a counter nearby. "It's just those hand weights, it's not a big deal," he assured me. "I've just got to run this swab through your bag and make sure there are no explosives inside." Ha! Go ahead, buddy. There are no explosives in this bag... you're wasting your time! And then it got really crazy when the machine that analyzed the swab turned red and starting beeping. I looked at the screen and saw "Explosives Detected" in big bold font. OMG. Everyone could see it. Check out the little blonde terrorist! everyone was thinking as they walked by. I was mortified.
And then the fun really started. I've got two guys pulling apart absolutely everything they can in my carry-on bag and purse - which was even more embarrassing due to the fact that I'm the most random packer in the world. I saw the entire contents of my belongings spread out for God and everyone to see:

Journal
GRE study book
Make-up bag
1 sports bra
1 pair of shoes
Hand weights (duh)
A pair of underwear (just in case!)
2 apples
Big grandma-style vitamin holder
2 pairs of headphones
Broken sunglasses that I just won't give up on
Etc, etc, etc!

And while this is happening, there is a female security agent giving me one of the most intimate pat-downs I've ever received in public... Awesome.

Finally, after 20 minutes and a little waterboarding, I was cleared. I couldn't get to the bar fast enough. I downed a spicy bloody Mary to cope with the traumatic experience before jumping on my plane.

Lesson: PUT YOUR HAND WEIGHTS IN YOUR CHECK BAG, YOU CHEAP SKATE!

In other, better news, I PR'd my 5K time yesterday.


Now that felt good.

To the average runner, a 32+ minute 5K, well, sucks. But to me, with my short legs and non-runner self, this was a phenomenal number. Just remember, my first 5K was about 44 minutes. So, uh, hell yes!

And, I accidentally ran across a film set. I think it's the next season of Revolution (which, by the way, is being filmed approximately 5 blocks from my house!) but it's hard to tell.






And today, after the boyfriend headed to work, I took my dog Nikki for a nice 2 mile walk. I wish I could take her running with me, but it's just not a good idea. Nikki's approaching her senior years (even though she's still a puppy in my book!) and she's kind of out of shape. The last time I took her running, we made it about .75 miles before she just absolutely quit and I thought I was going to have to carry her back to the house. But geez - how cute is she?
 

So after I got her back to the house with a big bowl of cold water, I decided to head out for a quick 1 mile run before the sun went down. It was quick but sweaty and I ended up with a pace of about 10:04 minutes/mile which is a great pace for me.

When I got back, the sun was still out so I decided to grab my yoga mat, computer, and the hand weights that almost got me arrested (not really!) and do some Biggest Loser Boot Camp on the back porch.

All in all, I burned 766 calories. And I'm in an awesome, productive mood!

Cheers to you, Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment