Monday, June 17, 2013

Awesome Weekend and Finish Line Drama

Ya'll, this weekend was so much fun. I hope you can say the same about yours.

Let's see: 


  • Friday night I checked out some live music on the beach with my dog and a beautiful sunset.
  • Saturday morning, I went to a local Blueberry Festival and helped out my friend E at a booth for the non-profit organization that she works for. There was a 5k that morning that I was too late to sign up for, but I definitely awkwardly and jealous-ly hung around the finish line for around 30 minutes watching people complete their races. Because every race I've ever been to I've run in, I never get to really soak up the awesome mojo that brews around this spot and as much as I wanted to be crossing that line with them, I really enjoyed the energy and excitement. Running races is so much fun but is also really challenging for a lot of people, especially in the hot ass North Carolina sun. But seeing the look of accomplishment these people had knowing what they had just completed gave me such a great feeling. Oh yeah, except there was a LITTLE bit of drama on the line.
    • A lady had an asthma attack and got hauled off in an ambulance. I felt so horrible for her. You know the lady had to be feeling TERRIBLE and a there's nothing worse than having a medical emergency a midst a huge group of southern people. I truly love southern folks but when something bad is going on, they crowd around and FREAK out. But the paramedics beat the crowd away and got her stabilized and all is well.
    • I cannot make this one up: while the paramedics were getting this lady placed on a stretcher and everyone and their mother were crowding around them trying to figure out what was happening, this man crossed the finish line with his child in a jogging stroller. Like most finish lines, this one had one of those plastic humps that hides electrical lines directly underneath it and when this man crossed, the stroller hit the hump so hard that the wheel broke off of the front and the child went flying out. Oh yeah, that definitely happened. And that kid was hardcore about it. He didn't scream or cry; he rolled over, got up, and started laughing. There are some major life lessons that we can learn from that kid!
  • Saturday afternoon was spent eating Thai-inspired gourmet pizza, drinking delicious beer, and catching up with E. And then a small dance party to Taylor Swift 22 might have occurred in my living room.. but I can't be sure.
  • That night, we headed down to Greenfield Lake (which is one of the most magical places in Wilmington) to check out Shakespeare on the Green's production of Measure for Measure. Um, this whole show was awesome. First of all, there is no admission, just donation. Second, you can bring your own refreshments (read: booze and snacks). I absolutely loved the atmosphere (minus all of the freaking mosquitos) and company but c'mon, Shakespeare gets kind of boring in the second act... so I was kind of yawn central at the end.
  • Yesterday was so easy and homely. I walked the dog, drank too much coffee, got some stuff done for work, and watched some Desperate Housewives on Netflix.
Oh yeah, and my Brady Bands arrived on Friday. Top to bottom: Color Me Chevron in Black, Don't be Coy, and To Dye For. They make skinny bands, too, and I have a few of them but I'm kind of in love with these thick ones.
After Saturday's post, I feel bad writing about how lazy and awesome life has been for me, especially knowing that see Sam run is getting life HANDED to her right now (and not on a silver platter). But my easy-go atmosphere is soon to be over, I'm heading back to work tomorrow morning... back to Oklahoma so let's all tell Mother Nature that this tornado shit needs to be over.

Shakespeare on the Green

Right now I'm working on a new post - a letter to my 20 year old self. And it's tough, ya'll. I have so much to say and so many things to remember. So that will come at some point, but go ahead and get your excited pants on!

Happy Monday everyone. 

Don't forget to tell people how much you love them; life has a way of being extremely short sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment