Monday, June 3, 2013

Haters gon' hate.

Okay - first thing first. 

I've jumped on the wagon with see Sam run and I'm here to tell you that the 30 day squat challenge sucks. 

It doesn't suck at first. That first day seems pretty easy. And so does the second day. And then you wake up on day 3 and have no clue why it hurts to walk up stairs. And then you get to day 4 and PRAISE HIM for the word "rest". Annnnd that's where I'm at right now.

But today's post isn't about the squat challenge - it's about something else. The summer. And, here comes the shocker, WHY I HATE THE SUMMER IN NC.

If you're from a humid hot place, I don't need to spell it out for you.

But if you're not, let me tell y'all this: summertime in North Carolina is MISERABLE for running, and walking, and drinking... okay I'm just being dramatic with the whole drinking thing but whatevs. 

I dropped the boyfriend off at his summer class the other day (10 AM - 12 PM) and decided to go for a little run around the campus while I waited on him. Let's just say I'm about to barf even thinking of it now. 85 degrees and as humid as a steam room filled with hot baking grease. The shade was farce and the sun was hot. I tried my best to keep my mind off of it - but it's hard to ignore the blend of sweat and last night's mascara as it slowly drips into your eyeball while you're trying to ignore the heat and listen to some Flo Rida. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Just yesterday I tried walking the dog 5 BLOCKS to the nearest crack, uhhh, coffee shop at like 9 AM. Annnnd once we returned, she laid on the cold hardwood floor in the dining room covered in wet wash clothes and in front of a box fan for like three hours. Shit is real, y'all.

So for the next few months, I will be running, walking, and doing all other outdoor activities at the ass crack of dawn or in the evening (and let's be real - it will definitely be evening).

What else do I hate about summer?
-mosquitoes
-sand spurs
-high ass electricity bills
-sunburn
-falling asleep on the beach and getting sand in my mouth (yes, really)
-flea season (hello big white dog in my house!)
-peeling skin after the aforementioned sunburn
-frizzy hair (thanks, humidity!)
-pit stains (there - I said it)
-beach traffic
-overload of tourists

Annnnd I think that's it.

I want you to know that I realize what a bitch I sound like right now. Everyone's all counting down to summer all year and here I am Ebeneezer Scrooging it for everyone. And honestly, summer is wonderful... but it's so DAMN hot.

This reminds me of a 5K I ran last year.

It was right at the end of June on a Saturday morning around 9 am. It was called the Run for the Red and was an effort for our community to raise money for the local Red Cross. Cute, right? Except it wasn't. It was 95 degrees before the humidity was factored in and the route had literally ONE TREE for shade. All I'm saying is this: it's a good thing the Red Cross was there because I thought I was going to die. And I was having a worse time than others because of see Sam run. That's right. Not only was she sitting this race out but she decided the night before to go bar hopping and force me to drink red bull and vodka with her all night. I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me going during that race was the motive to murder her immediately afterwards. (wait - did I just say that out loud? hehe)

And speaking of good ol' see Sam run, did y'all miss her or what on Saturday?



Uhhh she's kidding, right?

RIGHT?!?!???

See y'all tomorrow. We'll talk about compression shorts and why I love/hate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment