Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Short Spandex and my Love/Hate relationship

So I finally cashed in a gift card for Dick's Sporting Goods that I received for my birthday. I'm honestly way too cheap to shop in that store but nothing helps you break out of your skin like spending someone else's money. 

And the verdict is: I love that place. All of the cute running clothes? I wanted to dive in head first and never leave. I can't tell you how hard it was to stay within my gift card amount, actually I may have gone a teensy weensy bit over but whatever.

I told y'all the other day how hot the summer is in North Carolina. Given my recent struggles to beat the heat, I decided to take a plunge and buy something very new to me.

I bought compression shorts.

It wasn't easy. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that there are currently around 50 different types of compression shorts sold at Dick's. And man some of those things are TINY! I mean they look like underwear. I chose something kind of in the middle - not too too short but still short (the long ones I tried on did absolutely nothing for my short thick legs). And as much as I want to be, I'm not in love with them.

I made the boyfriend snap this picture yesterday after my run. I told him to, "try to get the most flattering picture you can," and this is what I got.
The Pros:

  • These are made by Under Armor and the fabric is AMAZING! I know my butt was super sweaty after yesterday's morning run but touching the fabric, you couldn't tell. 
  • They definitely beat the heat - when I do need to run in the hot-ass afternoon sun, I'll definitely be rocking with these.
The Cons:
  • They definitely ride up when I run. I literally felt like I was running in my underwear yesterday - which I guess I'm cool with but I should probably pay attention to the area of town I'm in when I'm wearing these.
  • I feel SUPER self-conscious in them. Y'all I am PROUD of my legs and what they are able to do. I've put some SERIOUS mileage on these gams since the beginning of the year and I really do think they are looking better and better (I'm rocking skinny jeans on the REGULAR for Pete's sake). But I'm not 100% comfortable in these things - there is something about a pair of tight spandex shorts that makes even skinny girls feel a tad insecure. 
But hey! I ripped the tags off of them and threw away the receipt so they are HERE TO STAY! I'll warm up to them eventually.. right?

Speaking of my legs and the badass things they are capable of doing, I signed up for another race yesterday. Yep, I'll be running a 10k next Saturday for a Father's Day themed run. Y'all know I'm a sucker for a good race t-shirt (although see Sam run thinks I have a hidden shrine somewhere because I never wear them) and because it's the Dash for Dad, they are printing mi padre's name on the back of my t-shirt! 

HAPPY HUMP DAY, everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment