Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Slow Poke - The Curse of the 12 Minute Mile

Lately my running has been, well, lacking. And I don't know what's up.

Since the 10k in April, I've maintained a constant running schedule with 2 to 4 mile runs. When scheduling permits (and it usually does), I've tried keeping with this around 4 times per week. And I'm definitely getting the mileage in - but I am getting slower! What?!

Yesterday I ran 3.71 miles and BARELY kept a 12 minute mile pace. During the weekend of running, I was kicking out a 10:30 (ish) mile. WHAT GIVES, BODY?

I've blamed it on more than one things:
  • heat
  • elevation (I travel a lot to different places)
  • hillyness of route
  • diet for that day
  • hydration
  • music
  • nail polish color (okay, now I'm kidding)
But no matter what I blame it on, non of these parameters are accountable for my running in general. So they can't really be fully blameable. (Yep, just made that word up - go with it).

I honestly think this is it: I am burnt out on running. I run ALL of the time (especially when I'm in North Carolina - and I've been here for almost a month). So here's my little experiment that I'm going to try: no more running until Saturday. I'm going to see if taking a few days off and just plain not running does anything to help. Why Saturday? I have a 10k on Saturday, that's why!

I'm actually more nervous about this 10k than the last one. Well - I am and I'm not. Since I've already ran a 10k and gotten the whole "first time" nerves out of the way, I'm not nervous about the race itself. But I am nervous about the actual running and getting a decent time part. I'm pretty sure I can run 6.2 miles without stopping (fingers crossed for no brutal cramps this time) but I'm not sure that I'll be able to get a decent or even better time than last time. Oh well! This is one of many races and I'm not going to psych myself out. 

Sometime's you've got to remember that running is just one easy concept:
putting one foot in front of the other

So these next few days will be kind of tough. Running isn't just exercise for me - it's therapy at this point. It's my me time. But I'm interested to see if this break is just what the doctor ordered...

Regardless, I still need exercise. I mean, it is bikini season and the fro-yo bar down the street needs a little counterbalance every day so I'm planning to kick it with some workout DVD's, a little bike riding, and dog walking (although my dog walks super slow so that's barely considered aerobic).

Tonight I'm having my friend E and her boyfriend over for a little dinner get together. I've really been stepping up my domestic skills in the last year and am excited to put my hostess pants on and entertain.

On the menu for tonight: sangria, chicken and beef kabobs, and a Mediterranean quinoa salad. If everything goes well, you can expect pictures and recipes on the blog tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new runner and a slow poke! The best way to get stronger and faster is to cross train! Even just taking some walks or biking will work different muscles and keep you from getting too fatigued.

    Best of luck and I can't wait to hear how your next race goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather for your advice! I will definitely try getting more cross training in and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete