Monday, June 24, 2013

Staying Healthy on the Road

My life has been upside down and inside out since the last time we talked. My lovely month of dog-cuddling, concert spectating, and awkward sunburn acquisition are over. 

I've been in Oklahoma since last Tuesday, well kind of. 

I got sent back to Wyoming to get my car (which has been at the airport since March 31st) last Friday and had to drive back to be in OK by Sunday. So 13 hours on the road and I'm back to talk about it! 

Probably the biggest lesson I've learned this weekend is how hard being healthy on the road is.

I seriously miss Wyoming so much already.
I tried taking pictures of all of the states I went through,
but CO and WY were the only two with obvious signage.
Problems with being healthy on the road:
  • There is little to no movement, nevermind any attempt for exercise. I literally sat, and sat, and sat. The biggest exercise I got was running into a rest area to pee. (Although I did make myself do 50 burpees Sunday morning before I could check out of my hotel room.)
  • It is TOUGH to find healthy food on the road. I'm sure if you're driving through more civilized areas, you can come across some healthy options... but this drive took me straight through the middle of Kansas. And do you know what exists out in the middle of Kansas? Barely anything except for anti-abortion roadside signs (I counted around 18). My options for lunch at a popular stopping exit were: KFC, Arby's (which I had already had that morning for breakfast) and IHOP. So IHOP it was. And I definitely dove all in to the world of sinful eating with chocolate chip banana french toast. Yeah, I know.
  • Well actually, those are the only two reasons. But let me tell ya'll - my Healthy Inner Self must have been taking a nap in the backseat of my car the entire time, because she would have NOT been cool with the shit I was eating.
But I'm here in rural Oklahoma. Road trip is over and there is work to be done. And I'm really bummed not to be in Wyoming anymore. I had a good thing going there.

  • I had an awesome hairdresser who could make my hair the fakest prettiest blonde you ever did see.
  • I knew everyone who worked at the grocery store and restaurants and most of the bars.
  • I had a gym that I loved! I knew how all of the machines worked. I knew what time was the busiest time to avoid.
But, my employer has moved me and I have no choice. So Oklahoma it is! Yesterday when I got here, I spent some time scoping out the town for running trails and/or gyms. I think I found both. But damn it is hot in Oklahoma! And super buggy!

It's moments like these that remind me that being healthy and fit isn't always the easiest option but it is definitely do-able. If I would have planned better, I would have had healthy food in my car to eat on the road. (But damn that french toast was delicious.) And now that I'm in a new state and town and environment, I've got to start fresh with my routine. But I'll make it happen.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Flo Rida quotes:

"Giving up's not an option, gotta get it in."

Happy Monday, folks.

How do you stay healthy when you're out of your comfort zone?

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit something here... I was hoping to click on this blog and read something that would make me feel like shit for not being healthy (seriously, the closest I've gotten to veggies in the past three weeks is the spinach on my chicken pizza and the broccoli in my chicken alfredo). I feel like C R A P! I eat in the dining hall at lunch, and while I do good with a salad, I quickly follow it up with a little bowl of ice cream. And when I get home at 5? HA! Hello, quick and easy! And exercise? It's the last thing I want to do after being out with the kids all day. I need my mojo back. ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, if I see your mojo, I will tell it that you are looking for it and send it your way! It is definitely hard to maintain any type of routine when you're constantly under the gun... but it's not impossible!

    ReplyDelete