Saturday, June 15, 2013

see Sam run Saturdays: Bitch Mode: ON

I know I've been absent on Here Comes Healthy Little Me for a few Saturdays, I do apologize and I'll tell you why I've been MIA...

My life is bat shit crazy right now.

I am a grad student. That should be explanation enough, but allow me to elaborate.

This summer marks the third summer I've lived in North Carolina. I came here for the sole purpose of obtaining a Master's degree in science, specifically in the field of geology (specifically, specifically in the sub-field of invertebrate paleontology). It's suppose to take two years, but a variety of things have happened and, let's face it, I'm not deeply passionate about my research (my true love is for the world of vertebrates), so it has taken a bit longer than usual to grind out a thesis. I am suppose to defend said thesis at the end of July.

 How much have I gotten completed?

I'd say a solid 50% and I may be exaggerating a tad.

Also, since I don't get paid in the summer for being a teaching assistant at the local university, I needed to acquire a job - because I like to eat and have running water. I was encouraged to apply for a position as an instructor at the university's prestigious  marine oriented summer camp (attended primarily by children of the area's nerdy, wealthy, white well-to-do's). I SEVERELY underestimated the work, time and professionalism/seriousness this camp expects from its employees. Every staff member is at the tip-top of their field, they all have significant research experience, have studied abroad, and in every way make you feel like you're dragging your knuckles on the ground and grunting to communicate. This is no regular summer camp, people. (It has it's perks like kayaking, snorkeling, being out on a research vessel, shark dissecting etc...)

 Anyway, it has required training for the past week from 9:00am to 4:30pm (out in the sun) and oh, did I mention in order to be employed you must be Lifeguard certified (I guess people don't want their kids to drown-pshh)? And so lifeguard training is from 6:00pm until 9:00pm three days a week. For those three days out of the week I am home for literally 30-45 minutes and I fall into bed when I walk through the door that night so I can be semi awake by 6:30am the next morning to start it all over again.

On top of that our house is for rent and we have strange people ringing our doorbell and scheduling appointments to come view the house at all times of the day.

On top, TOP of that my husband is/has moved back to Georgia to attend grad school for himself (and has come home for the weekend before he's gone until I move out and I move in with yours truly, HealthyLittleMe, until the middle of August).

On top, top, TOP of that I have two dogs that need to be walked.

On top, top, top, TOP of that I have a cold (and my hair turned a beautiful shade of green from chlorine).

On top, top, top, top, TOP of that there's that pesky thesis to finish (I'll pay mediocre money for you to write it for me).

I know this is a fitness related blog and so here's how my diet and exercise routine looks at the moment:

Breakfast: 6:30am- toothpaste

Lunch: 12:00pm- sandwhiches, pizza, fruit cups or whatever camp decided to feed us that day for lunch.

Snack: 4:30pm- spoonful of peanut butter and/or cookies

Dinner: 9:30pm- Ramen noodles (chicken flavor)

Exercise: Moving equipment from storage to van, from van to classrooms; kayaking marsh/estuaries; swimming 300+ meters; learning water rescue skills and pulling people out of the YMCA pool and onto backboards; running to and from the car.

I also demolished an ENTIRE package of Chips Ahoy cookies in two days. By myself. It was the highlight of my week (other than hubby coming home, of course).

That's why I've been MIA for a bit. I apologize, readers. I hope to be able to contribute more substantial content in the near future, but until then, be prepared to to hear my whining, stories of unruly camp kids, and maybe the rare positive/motivated nugget thrown in here and there.

Happy Saturday. Make the most of it! (I'm going to spend the remaining hours with the hubs and my fur babies before all three disappear back to Georgia tomorrow.) August can't arrive soon enough!

PS- The heat index was 104 Thursday... WTF?!






No comments:

Post a Comment