Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Funday - Day Two in Houston and Food Prep

 Howdy from Space City! I got into Houston yesterday evening and MAN is this place huge! 

I'm still finding my footing here - AKA googling everything I need and trying to get around without wrecking into the million other people on the roads.

But I had one major thing on my wish list for this new city and I decided to kick off my first week here with some clean eating via Sunday Food Preps (which is capitalized because it's officially my new thing). 

One thing I love about modern technology is the fact that we can Google absolutely everything we ever needed to know. Breakfast restaurants near Galleria in Houston, TX. Who is Taylor Swift dating right now? And the one I've found most useful as of recent: Healthy Eating Food Prep

I found a bunch of blogs and articles about how planning your meals and prepping your food at the beginning of the week strongly influences how well you do with healthy eating during the week. And the good Lord knows I've committed some mighty nutritional sins lately, so this seemed like a good plan for jumping on the wagon again.

While all of the advice offered slightly different ideas, there were some major foods that were mentioned often. These are the staples:

Beans - these are black beans and navy beans (if you cook them together, the navy beans turn grey, whoops.) These provide a low-fat high-protein (and fiber) addition to any meal.



Rice - I decided to go for some quinoa but I also bought orzo at the grocery store this morning. This is useful for adding healthy whole grains to packed lunches. And let's get real: I love quinoa.


Veggies - I sliced some tomatoes (for sandwiches), sliced up some yellow and orange bell peppers, and measured out some snack cups with baby carrots in them.



And I used some of the tomatoes, carrots, and peppers to make a salad with a spring green mix I bought earlier today.


And I diced up some strawberries to throw in with my oatmeal in the morning.


Total, I spent about an hour or two in the kitchen today prepping food for the week. But I feel good about it. Hopefully this will help me eat clean for the week! Because if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.


Tomorrow's my first day on the new job and I am so nervous/excited I can't even stand it! But for now, I'm going to crack open a cold beer, put my feet up, and cheer for the Texans since, you know, I live here now and all.

Oh and speaking of excitement - congrats to my friend B for running her first 5k today! I am so proud of her and can't wait to run some races with her one day! Go girl! Maybe she can write a guest post about her awesome-ness? :-)

Do any of you plan and prep your meals for the week? Anyone wanna help a girl out with some tips and advice?

Happy Sunday, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment