Saturday, March 23, 2013

see Sam run Saturdays: "You'll get there" and the 5 miler

It seems like a harmless phrase, "you'll get there," doesn't it?
To  most people it probably isn't a big deal. 
When you tell people about your fitness goals it seems to crop up more often than not.

You'll get there.

I don't like this phrase. It implies that you're not good enough now. I was talking with a friend about my meals and fitness routines etc., and then there was a pause and it came out: "well... you'll get there."

What? I'll get where, exactly? Reach my goals? Yes, I know this. I'll become happy with my body? I've accepted it the way it is, I'm simply improving it. I don't like "you'll get there" instead say to me "you're doing awesome!" or "way to go!"
Say something positive and don't assume I have self doubt and feel the need to reassure me that I will, in fact, get to some magical place where everything is perfect. Because that's not what becoming fit is about. There is no destination. There is no arrival point. This is about becoming the best YOU you can be. And it doesn't have an end date or stopping point. Yes, you make goals along the way and once you reach them there are more to take its place. There is no "there" to which I will get. I'm here and I'm doing great things and I will continue to do great things. Way to go, me, you're doing awesome!



How am I doing awesome? I ran 5 miles for the first time ever!
 Now, I know if you're a runner this probably doesn't seem like a major feat, but this time last year, hell, this time three months ago, I would have laughed in your face if you'd told me I would run 5 miles for fun.

I was determined to go for 4.5miles, but I felt empowered, I felt unstopabble. At mile 4 instead of turning down the road that would take me home, I took the long way around on purpose. I find that after 1.5 miles I start to get tired and my knees start to say "ummm, when are we stopping?" but then by mile 3 I get a second wind and I feel great. I feel like drop kicking a dragon. That's right, a dragon.
I may not be the fastest runner, but I'm running! And so can you! Don't you want to drop kick dragons? I know you do...


Happy Saturday! Make the best of it!

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say that I love your post! I'm a "beginning" runner--I do better on my treadmill--but I'm determined to run a 5k at some point. So it was very inspiring to read your post.
    Congratulations on your 5 miles!!!
    I've always said that the only way I would run is if Channing Tatum was in front of me....
    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara! You can absolutely run a 5k! It's 100% a mental game. It's amazing what we can do when we conquer our minds. I have never been a "runner' either and I have complete confidence that you can do it, too! You can drop kick dragons! (And Channing Tatum would be proud!)

    -see Sam run :)

    ReplyDelete