Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Skiing, Running, and Losing

I've been thinking all day of a way to SNEAK back in with a nonchalant post. I know I disappear every now and then (and it's always when I go home) but whatevs. I'm back, you're back, it's all good.

I did some fun things while I was home. 

Like skiing.


I've never been skiing before. And the boyfriend's been really persistent about going. It snowed A LOT in the Appalachian (pronounced App-uh-latch-un for all you fancy folks) mountains and he was out of school for the week on spring break. And boom. We went skiing. And it was EXCELLENT. And I'm pretty sure I have Jillian Michael's to thank for my excellent squatting form that I managed to maintain prettttty much the whole day.

And, as always in North Carolina, I got some good runs in. 

I'm not going to sugar coat it: my first run was pretty frustrating. I set out to run in the mid-afternoon (after eating a big meal) and it was a painful start. What made it worse - I got about 14 minutes in when I realized that I forgot to press "Start Workout" on MapMyRun. The only reason I honestly noticed it was because I couldn't figure out why it hadn't given me the time for my first mile. Argh! I was close to home when I figured it out and my stomach was cramping pretty bad. I tried talking myself into quitting and going home. Just give up now. I told myself. You can try again tomorrow. But that damn healthy-inner-me had other plans. Just keep going a little more and try to work this cramp out. So I said screw it, pushed the damn button, and made it happen. I finished at 4.3 miles, which was great. But what excited me yet kind of pissed me off was knowing that I probably had gotten about 5.5 miles in and just had no proof of it. Isn't it INSANE how my brain works? My little legs and heart can work as hard as they want, but if MapMyRun can't tell me about it later, it's like it didn't happen.

But it did. And I did work that cramp out. And I did finish sweaty and proud.


And then this one happened the next day. I was really proud of this one. I set out that day to try to run a 10K (6.2 miles). I told myself that I would try and get as far as I could. And then when I finally got to my ending point right at the end of the riverwalk, I looked down and realized that I had run almost 6.5 miles. Holy shit.

That night, we saw some of the boyfriend's friends. I hadn't seen them in a while and thought it was pretty damn awesome that when we saw them, the first thing they both said was, "Damn you're getting skinny!" Now when my friends say this, it's awesome. But when the boyfriend's say it, I know they mean it. Why else would they say it? They notice a change. They notice that Healthy Little Me has taken over the Old Me's body. And I couldn't be more proud of me and my badass self.


I guess the compliments got to my head because the next day, I busted out a 5+ mile run. This run had an awkward moment involved. And by awkward moment, I mean I ran behind an outdoor wedding on accident. Whoops. And I'm pretty sure that I later gave an older woman a heart attack when I came up behind her and said "excuse me". Oh well, life goes on.

The truth is, though. I really shouldn't have done that last run. Or maybe I shouldn't have gone as far. Because my legs were pissed at me the next day. And the day after. And today. And they'll probably still be pissed tomorrow. Thank God for store-brand Naproxen Sodium.

Yesterday when I got to work, I felt so weird. I felt like the Old Me. I didn't feel motivated. Actually, I was exhausted. And I was hungry. I'm being straight up when I tell ya'll - I ate everything I could and was still hungry later.


And another honest truth: I lost my DietBet by one pound. Yep. Me, Healthy Little Me, gave away $25. And I was kind of sick about it at first. But then I thought - the hell with being upset about that! You're doing good things here. And that DietBet was super motivating. And if someone makes a few bucks off of me because they met their goal and I didn't, good for them.

Today I did the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout (which might be my favorite BL DVD so far) and then did a little Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga (which might be my least favorite DVD so far... but not for any reason other than the fact that I HATE yoga and think it's ridiculously hard).

Annnnnnd last Sunday, I got a text from See Sam Run. Yep. We forgot about See Sam Run Saturdays. We're losers. But don't fret - she's been working on something good for this weekend to make up for it!

The weather in Wyoming this week is BEAUTIFUL. It's supposed to be in the 60-70 degree range tomorrow and Friday. So I'm going to try to get some runs in. 

Yep, there you have it. I'm back, bitches. Talk to you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment